Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Brewing again :)

Yep, finally. I couldn't wait for my load of new brewing supplies to get here (one more week....) so I made a batch of beer out of old crap I had sitting around. So there is a good chance this beer will suck. Anyway, I had a Baron's Brown Ale kit I bought over a year ago, and I didn't feel it was appropriate to throw it out. It is 7.5 L, and generally makes an initial gravity of about 1.050. I then made a lot of extra wort to add to that, to bump the initial gravity up to 1.077 :). It is in the style of an "old ale", and I should be able to age it since the alcohol should be between 8-9% by vol.

The homebrew shops were closed today so I had to pitch with a couple of packets of dry yeast I had around. I'm sure the fermentation will get stuck due to the high gravity and crappy yeast. So tomorrow I'll buy a pack of nice English ale or ESB yeast and throw it in too.

I think that it will be an interesting beer at the least... its based off of old grains, an old kit, and old DME, with old hops... I'm calling it "Old Stock Ale" for its use of 'aged goods'. But doing this isn't uncommon amongst brewers I think... its nice to have fresh new ingredients most of the time, but an aged ingredient will add a different flavour to the beer.... hopefully not too bad of a flavour!
Here are the details (and I know there are some flaws, I was just using what I had around):

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
19-A Strong Ale, Old Ale

Min OG: 1.060 Max OG: 1.108
Min IBU: 30 Max IBU: 80
Min Clr: 10 Max Clr: 26 Color in SRM, Lovibond


Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (L): 23.00 Wort Size (L): 23.00
Total Grain (kg): 5.63

Anticipated OG: 1.086 Plato: 20.60
Anticipated SRM: 20.1

Anticipated IBU: 35.8

Brewhouse Efficiency: 70 %
Wort Boil Time: 90 Minutes


Formulas Used
Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %



Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Extract SRM
53.3 3.00 kg. Baron's Brown Ale Kit
1.050 18
14.2 0.80 kg. Crystal 40L America 1.007 40
10.7 0.60 kg. Generic DME - Wheat America 1.010 8
1.8 0.10 kg. Corn Sugar Generic 1.002 0
15.6 0.88 kg. Generic DME - Light Generic 1.015 8
3.6 0.20 kg. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt
1.002 2
0.9 0.05 kg. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.000 475

Exract represented as SG.

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
28.35 g. Fuggle Pellet 3.71 3.4 15 min
28.35 g. Eroica Pellet 9.41 32.4 60 min



Notes... the Baron's kit was 7.5 L, 3 kg is wrong. I just needed the 1.050. There were some obvious errors, as the recipe says my initial SG should be 1.086. I figure a problem with my guess at the extract potential of the baron's kit, plus I had to grind all the grains by hand which means a lot of them wern't cracked. Anyway, I took a few pictures but am too tired to post them... tomorrow...
Cheers!

No comments: