Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Job Woes

Ok, well today I accepted a new position at my current employer, which is a good job with higher pay, more responsibility, and sounds quite challenging. It was kind-of a surprise, and I tried putting off accepting the job (see below for why). But today I gave in and accepted it, so its official.

But I was looking to get this job at a craft brewery in Edmonton before xmas... well, we had a great chat I think and it seemed positive. I knew they were on vacation over xmas, and I should have emailed them last week and followed up. But I didn't, lazy I guess. We were talking about mid to late Feb for starting anyway. So anyway just after I accepted the new job this morning I got an email from the brewer there, asking if I was still interested in brewing with them, as they were still interested in me. I KNEW that would happen. Crap.

So of course I want the brewing job, even though it will pay much less and I'll be basically starting a new career from the bottom. But if I get it the people at my current employment are going to be sooooooo mad... and quite screwed (I'm usually quite modest, but the new job does solve a lot of their problems). I suppose I can't just stay there out of guilt, I do one day want to be a brewer, and while I'm not in a huge rush I should take a great oppertunity when it comes along. After all, this is the time in my life when I can switch careers... I am 26.5 and have no family/wife. If I keep taking jobs on my current career track then there will be less and less reason to switch careers as I get more responsibility and dependant on the $$. Now really is the time.

Anyway, just my little woes. I have pictures from my brew day I'll post in a few hours.
Cheers!

2 comments:

Ben, aka BadBen said...

You are still young enough to be able to go with your heart. Materialism isn't all it's cracked up to be. Of course, neither is poverty.

bwestcott said...

Yeah, just need the right mix of the two :)

I figure if you do something well and keep at it, eventually good money may come from it. If it doesn't... oh well. If it does... yay!