Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hops Play

I agreed to do some tests for different hop usages for a friend, who is working towards starting a beer company. I guess the idea would be that I brew up like 4-5 batches of beer with different hops used for flavour and aroma. I like the beer they have so far (which was contract brewed by the brewery I work at), so I'm not tooo sure where to start really. I'll have to set all the malt bills to be the exact same, and make certain that my boil times are similar (or boil up one big batch, then split 4 ways and continue the boil on each separately). Then I can either add either a set IBU worth of each hop verity or a set weight of each. I think the weight would be better (like 30 g of each) since I'm not really looking for the bittering component of the hops.

It would be nice to do them all at once. At the very least I should be able to do that mash in one go, that would be best.

Anyway, just a thought.

Cheers!

No comments: