Friday, March 10, 2006

"Brown Porter"

Ah! I remembered the story I wanted to tell. Over the weekend I helped a friend brew a brown ale/brown porter thing he wanted to brew. The recipe seemed to change all the time, but below is the basics, with my comments following:

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
12-A Porter, Brown Porter

Min OG: 1.040 Max OG: 1.052
Min IBU: 18 Max IBU: 35
Min Clr: 20 Max Clr: 30 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics

Batch Size (L): 19.50 Wort Size (L): 19.50
Total Grain (kg): 5.10
Anticipated OG: 1.052 Plato: 12.75
Anticipated SRM: 24.8
Anticipated IBU: 35.6 (BU:GU ratio = 0.68)
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts

Evaporation Rate: 5.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 24.37 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.041 SG 10.29 Plato


% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
60.8 3.10 kg. _Pale Malt (2-row) Harrington Canada 1.037 2
15.7 0.80 kg. _Munich Malt - Dark Germany 1.037 9
5.9 0.30 kg. _Crystal 40L unk 1.034 40
4.9 0.25 kg. Victory Malt America 1.034 25
2.9 0.15 kg. _Crystal 90L Great Britian 1.034 90
2.9 0.15 kg. Crystal 105L Great Britain 1.033 125
2.0 0.10 kg. _Chocolate Malt unk 1.034 475
2.0 0.10 kg. Melanoidin Malt
1.033 35
2.0 0.10 kg. White Wheat Belgium 1.040 3
1.0 0.05 kg. Black Malt Belgium 1.030 525

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.


Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
32.09 g. Sterling Pellet 5.30 28.5 60 min
15.00 g. Bramling Cross Pellet 5.50 4.6 20 min
15.00 g. Bramling Cross Pellet 6.00 2.5 1 min

Amount Name Type Time
1.00 Tsp Irish Moss Fining 15 Min.(boil)

WYeast 1335 British Ale II

Well, as you can see the malt bill got a little crazy. That'll happen when you have lots of malts sitting around. At least there was ~77% malt with diastatic power and fermentable sugars. Most of the other malts only add colour and flavour, with little to no fermentable sugar.

The mash was just a one hour mash at 67 C with a water:grain ratio of 1.8 L/kg, which is fairly thick. We then did three batch sparges with 6 L of water at approx 77 C. We then boiled in three seperate pots for 60 minutes.

This whole method worked quite well apparently... we got 1.060 final gravity for the 19.5 L batch! That calculates to 76% efficiency rather than the 65% I predicted. Its possible that the thick mash I used this time around helped. But the three batch sparges worked pretty damn well.

Its pretty much not a brown porter anymore, but its something alright. It sure smells friggin malty though! The hopping rate dropped a bit too because of the raise in initial gravity. Now the BU:GU ratio is 0.59, so the balance will be even more towards the malt! It was never meant to be a hoppy beer though, of course.

We did all the work at a frat house, so there were plenty of interested helpers, too :)


No comments: