Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Gentoo Install, Day 1

Ya, so maybe this week my blog
won't be as much of a beer blog as a life blog.
But whatever... I don't really blog that much
about beer anymore it seems. Although I am
drinking a Maudite from Unibroue, which is
owned by Sleeman, which was just bought out by
Sapporo of Japan, where John Sleeman sold all
of his shares, rendering Sleeman as a Canadian brewery to be forfit.
Its all corporate, dorks with MBAs run the big breweries just like any
other company, to make money. Don't expect good beer. That costs too much to produce. I hope Unibroue remains unchanged though.


ANYWAY, so I started installing Gentoo Linux on my computer today. I've done this many a time before...
but that was about 2 years ago. A few glitches, but nothing too bad. I figure that I'm already on
'emerge gnome' which should take all night to compile, so thats a good sign.

For those of you not aware, Gentoo is my favorite Linux distro where you compile pretty much everything
from scratch specifically for your computer to be optimized. Speed gain? Yes, in theory.
Its certainly for the more advanced user though, and there were a few times today where I had to rack my brains for the command I needed.
Oh well. I think this is going ok. If I get pissed off tomorrow for whatever reason I can always just go back to my windows install... btw, I'm posting this with the lynx text browser... as gnome isn't installed yet ;)
cheers!

No comments: