Wednesday, April 12, 2006

I will buy beer again

Well, I've come to a decision. I get two six-packs of beer per week from the brewery. Now, I love the beer we make, but I'm a beer drinker who likes to try new things. And, as a beer professional, I need to be well versed in the flavours of many beer styles and breweries products. I can't really do that if I'm limiting myself to what beer I can get for free.

So, from now on I'm be giving away pretty much most of my two six-packs per week (I usually give away at least one anyway) to whoever I can (mostly friends really).

I will then go back to buying beers I haven't tried before. The closest liquor store to me actually has a pretty good selection of micro brews and foreign beers. I can afford it after all, and hell is part of my professional development anyway!

I just bought Flying Dog's Scottish Porter and St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout. Oddly enough, I've never tried the oatmeal stout before, despite it being a very good beer apparently. I'm drinking the Scottish porter right now. Its odd, really. Indeed a cross between a Scottish beer and a porter. There seem to be two layers... one of a malty sweetness that is in the forefront at first. After several seconds the aftertaste becomes slowly more dry. There is a roast barley or black malt flavour throughout, which gets stronger about a second or two after the sip and then fades. I can feel a mild bitterness on my tongue (which may be mostly from the roasted grains), but can taste or smell very little hop flavour or aroma if any.

No comments: