Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The long road home

I awoke with a start, as a voice growled "hey buddy, ya gotta get of now". I quickly calibrated my senses to detect where I was... some kind of train it would appear. Ah yes! My last memory was that of boarding the Southbound LRT in Calgary headed for my parents house to spend what remained of the night (which was quickly becoming the wee hours of the morning). But wait... this isn't good. I'm being told to get off. Oh no! I'm at the end of the line! I was supposed to get off 4 stops ago!! Shit. And this was the last train of the night.

I hadn't really slept in the last 4 days, and I had been out enjoying many a fine beer at the CAMRA Cask Ales festival... followed by more beer at my favorite little pub downtown. I was so tired, but I was being forced out into the night. I was supposed to have stayed on a friend's couch for the night, but at the last second I decided it would be better to go to my parents. I regret that.

I stepped off of the train into the crisp early morning (about 02:30). I pointed my feet Northward and began to walk. I haven't been on the train lines in South Calgary for at least a couple of years, and I guess the added new stops. I didn't recognize any of the area around me, it was some huge strip mall. An hour and 45 minutes later, I finally arrived at my destination.

Moral of the story: Don't fall asleep on the train. But really that should go without saying.

Cask Ales Festival
Well as suggested above, I took some beer down to the Cask Ales festival in Calgary this weekend. A "cask ale" is ale as it used to be... unfiltered, with the yeast still in it, and only natural carbonation. I brought a cask of our Full Moon Pale Ale, which is very highly regarded in beer nerd circles. We had added twice the dry hopping to this particular cask. It turned out very VERY awesome, and tied for first place with another beer.

The things I like most about the festival is that the brewers usually come out and have a good time, plus its pretty much all unique beer you can't buy in any store or pub.

Beer Fridge
I bought a sweet beer fridge with two tap handles on it. I'll talk more about it when I get it to my place.

Cheers!

No comments: