So these special malts have a lot of flavour. I'll have to do 100% extracts of these (usually they are used in <15%>
Here is what I did:
- Crushed two tablespoons of the grain (crystal, black, or roast barley)
- Placed it in a small French coffee press.
- Added about 200 mL of boiling water
- let it sit for 10 min
- pressed the plunger down, poured off the liquid
- Crystal (140 EBC) had exactly what you'd expect - a massive aroma of sweet malt. The flavour was very weak though, but still pretty sweet. It was dark pale in colour.
- The black malt of course created a dead black liquid. The blackness had a red hue, though. Sweet aroma with some burnt notes. Didn't taste too bad actually... it was a little sweet with some astringency.
- Roast barley was similar to the black malt, except the colour hue was much more yellow than red. As well, the flavour was much drier compared to the black malt.