Friday, March 02, 2007

English Premium Bitter Brew Night

Well, since I was off Thursday and Friday this week I decided to do a homebrew batch in the evening. I got a little busy... so I didn't actually end up starting the brew until midnight... which means I didn't get out of there until 6 am! But I'm kind of a night owl.

I've always really liked Fuller's London Pride, so I wanted to make something similar (but not the same). I found a clone on BYO, but I didn't really like the recipe. The recipe I used is below. Unfortunately, when I used the BeerTools recipe generator I left the mash efficiency at 75%, when I usually get 85% or so... thus, I had a hell of a lot more extract than I expected. I had to stop the runnings at 7.6 P and top up with a lot of water. I could have made a barley wine out of this! But thats not what I wanted. So I just got a very full boil kettle :)

I've decided to call this "London Self-Esteem"... ;)


Recipe:

Brian's "London Self-Esteem"
8-B Special/Best/Premium Bitter

BeerTools Pro Color Graphic

Size: 48 L
Efficiency:
85%
Attenuation:
73.2%
Calories:
223.44 per 500 mL

Original Gravity:
1.048 (1.040 - 1.048)
|========
===============#========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.013 (1.008 - 1.012)
|========
===================#====|
Color: 13.6 (5.0 - 16.0)
|========
============#===========|
Alcohol:
4.56% (3.8% - 4.6%)
|========
===============#========|
Bitterness: 31.27 (25.0 - 40.0)
|========
======#=================|

Ingredients:

7.6 kg Maris Otter Pale
0.8 kg Carastan 25
0.4 kg Crystal Malt 120°L
0.2 kg Carawheat®
0.2 kg Honey Malt

70.5 g East Kent Goldings (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
64.5 g East Kent Goldings (5.5%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
22.5 g East Kent Goldings (5.5%) - steeped after boil
45.5 g Fuggle (4.8%) - steeped after boil

600 mL WYeast 1968 London ESB Ale
--------------

So as you may be able to see its just barely within the style guidelines, but I don't really care. I've also decided to not use the standard Alley Kat Ale yeast and try the London ESB yeast that is apparently used by Fuller's. Its very highly flocculant, so apparently it needs rousing now and then.

Anyway, the brew went pretty good otherwise. Just a couple of pictures below. Cheers!





Running into the kettle... nice and clear!




1 comment:

Frosty TheBeerMan said...

Hi Brian,

The wort looks great in those images you posted !

I love British style ales, and you have some good info. Thanks for your blogs.